About SCS Astro
- Q. Who are SCS Astro Ltd?
SCS Astro Limited is owned and run by Kieron & Anne McGrath.
The company was founded in 1993 and incorporated in 2000. In 1998 we opened our retail store, The Astronomy Shop, in Wellington, Somerset.
Based in the West Country, SCS Astro sells all over the world. Our customers include amateur and professional astronomers, universities, colleges and observatory's. We specialise in giving advice to beginners and those looking to make their first telescope purchase. More importantly, we are amateur astronomers - we use the equipment we sell.
Company Registration Number: 4019450
Company VAT Number: GB 570231766
Company Address: The Astronomy Shop. 1 Tone Hill. Wellington. Somerset TA21 0AU
Telephone Number: 01823 665510
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site: www.scsastro.co.uk
Shipping and Insurance
- Q. Do you ship orders overseas?
Actually we do!
Overseas includes non-mainland UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland as well as Europe and the Rest of the World (ROW).
Firstly, we do not ship Telescopes or Large Accessories outside the UK due to the high cost and risk of damage. Any item which weighs more than 2kg is going to be very expensive to ship.
Orders to the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland sent by Royal Mail cost the same as UK mainland delivery.
Typically, an average cost to ship a small item to Europe will be £16.00, and to the ROW £20.00 to £25.00. Orders are sent Royal Mail Airsure or Signed For. Airsure can be tracked, Signed For only provides proof of delivery
We calculate the cost of each order individually. Please contact us for a price on any international order. Then select Overseas or Large Item Shipping Charges from the product catalogue and choose the appropriate charge.
NOTE: Overseas customers are free to organise their own shipping from our shop.
- Q. How much is it going to cost to ship my order?
Each order is different but we are always keen never to overcharge. We assess the order, apply best available discounts based on volumes then calculate the most cost effective carriage option.
- The price shown on each individual product page is the current UK Royal Mail postage, and is subject to change without notice.
- Where you order multiple items, only one postage charge will apply.
- As a rough guide, the postage on any individual order should not exceed £10.
- Telescopes and large items are shipped by Fedex. In common with all courier companies, deliveries to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are charged extra. Please contact us about shipping charges to these destinations.
- Q. How will my order be shipped?
UK mainland orders are shipped either by Fedex or Royal Mail Recorded (Signed for) or Special Delivery. Saturday deliveries by Fedex and Royal Mail Special are available at an additional cost.
Fedex deliveries to Northern Ireland and the Highlands of Scotland will incurr additional charges. Please contact us before placing your order.
The SCS Astro Shop
- Q. I can't see it on the website, does that mean you don't have it?
SCS Astro offers one of the widest range of telescopes and astronomical accessories available. Just because it isn't on the website, doesn't mean we don't have it. Feel free to contact us if you're looking for something you can't see advertised on our website.
- Q. I want to visit The Astronomy Shop
The Astronomy Shop is open five days a week, and on Saturday by appointment.
We urge customers to phone or email before turning up at the shop. Unlike Sainsburys we cannot guarantee to be open all hours. There are occasions when we have to close the shop unexpectedly, often at short notice, but if we know you are coming we can often arrange things to suit you.
You can find The Astronomy Shop at:
- Q. What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are as follows:
- Monday through Friday - 9.30am to 1.00pm, 2.00pm to 5.30pm
- Saturday - Open by appointment ONLY
- Sunday - Closed